[NEohioPAL] Tickets Now Available for LCCC's Stocker Arts Center Winter/Spring 2011 Film Series

Kimberly Carrasquillo kcarrasq at lorainccc.edu
Thu Jan 6 06:23:23 PST 2011

Tickets Now Available for LCCC's Stocker Arts Center Winter/Spring 2011 Film Series

>From exciting thrillers to inspiring dramas, film lovers will enjoy the excitement and variety of the Stocker Arts Center Winter/Spring 2011 Film Series  at Lorain County Community College.

The winter/spring series, sponsored by the LCCC Film Society, begins on January 7 with "Mao's Last Dancer," the true story of Chinese ballet dancer, Li Cunxin.

Patrons, except LCCC students/faculty/staff with valid ID, must purchase an annual membership in the LCCC Film Society for $3 each, which is  good through April, 2011. The admission price for each film is $5 with membership card. In addition to tickets to individual shows, anytime tickets are available for $5 each and may be used at any film from now through the end of the 2011 winter/spring film series.

The Stocker Arts Center box office is open Mondays through Fridays from 12-6 p.m. and one-and-one-half-hours before ticketed events, including films. For more information, call the box office at (440) 366-4040 or (800) 995-5222 (ext. 4040) or go to www.lorainccc.edu/stocker.

The Stocker Arts Center Film Series is truly an alternative cinema, as most of these films have not played in Lorain County and are often not readily available on video.  Audiences have the opportunity to sample the gourmet flavor of prize-winning foreign films, and the exciting energy and originality of contemporary independent American and international cinema.

The Stocker Arts Center's Film Series focuses on human relationships, moral and social issues, cultural and religious diversity, and universal human emotions and aspirations, including humor, disappointment and tragedy.

Below is a listing of films in the LCCC Stocker Arts Center Film Society's Winter/Spring 2011 Film Series.

MAO'S LAST DANCER
Friday, January 7, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2009 (PG)  117 min.  Australia Director: Bruce Beresford Cast: Bruce Greenwood, Kyle MacLachlan, Joan Chen, Chi Cao

"Moa's Last Dancer" is the inspiring true story of Li Cunxin and his extraordinary journey from a poor upbringing in rural China to international stardom as a world-class ballet dancer. Based on the best-selling autobiography, "Mao's Last Dancer" weaves a moving tale about the quest for freedom and the courage it takes to live your own life. The film compellingly captures the struggles, sacrifices and triumphs, as well as the intoxicating effects of first love and celebrity amid the pain of exile. The film stars Chi Cao, a gifted dancer and principal at the Birmingham Royal Ballet.

HEARTBREAKER
Friday, January 14, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (Not Rated)  104 min.  France/subtitles Director: Pascal Chaumeil Cast: Romain Duris, Vanessa Paradis, Julie Ferrier, François Damiens

Charming, funny and effortlessly cool, Alex is a professional heartbreaker, who for a fee, can turn any husband, fiancé or boyfriend into an ex. Alex has one ironclad rule: He only breaks up couples where the woman is unhappy. His latest job will put that rule to the test. The target is Juliette, a beautiful heiress who is set to marry the man of her dreams. With ten days until the wedding, Alex has been hired by her father to carry out his most daring seduction, yet that risks him being caught by his ruthless personal creditors, angry exes, and the beautiful and independent Juliette herself. But worst of all, will he discover that the perfect plan doesn't exist? A smash hit in France, "Heartbreaker" is an action-packed romantic comedy that pairs two of France's biggest young stars: Romain Duris and actress/singer Vanessa Paradis.

FAIRWELL
Friday, January 21, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (Not Rated)  113 min.  France/subtitles Director: Christian Carion Cast: Emir Kusturica, Guillaume Canet, Dina Korzun, Willem Dafoe

Loosely based on an incredible true story, "Farewell" is an espionage film about events that changed history. In 1981, Colonel Grigoriev of the KGB, disenchanted with the Communist ideal, decides he is going to change the world. Discreetly, he makes contact with Pierre, a French engineer working in Moscow, and passes on documents to him - mainly concerning the United States and France - containing information which would uncover the most important Soviet Cold War espionage operation known to date. During a period of two years, French President Francois Mitterrand and U.S. President Ronald Reagan personally vetted the documents supplied by this source in Moscow, to whom the French Secret Service gave the code name Farewell. Farewell smuggled out information that would cause actions which sounded the death knell of the Soviet Union before the end of the decade.  In this dramatization, which does not include the fact that the real Grigoriev attacked his mistress and murdered a policeman, Fairwell avoids traditional espionage methods well known to the KGB and does not ask for financial compensation. He simply follows his destiny so that a new world might dawn for his fellow Russians, but especially for his son.

VISION
Friday, January 28, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2009  (Not Rated)  110 min.  Germany/subtitles Director: Margarethe von Trotta Cast: Barbara Sukowa, Heino Ferch, Hannah Herzsprung

Hildegard von Bingen was truly a woman ahead of her time. A visionary in every sense of the word, this famed 12th-century Benedictine nun was a Christian mystic, composer, philosopher, playwright, poet, naturalist, scientist, physician, herbalist and ecological activist. In "Vision," German director Margarethe von Trotta reunites with recurrent star Barbara Sukowa to bring the story of this extraordinary woman to life. In a staggering performance, Sukowa portrays von Bingen's fierce determination to expand the responsibilities of women within the order, even as she fends off outrage from some in the church over the visions she claims to receive from God. Lushly shot in the original medieval cloisters of the fairytale-like German countryside, "Vision" is a profoundly inspirational portrait of a woman who has emerged from the shadows of history as a forward-thinking and iconoclastic pioneer of faith, change and enlightenment.

MADEMOISELLE CHAMBON
Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (Not Rated)  101 min.  France/subtitles Director: Stéphane Brizé Cast: Sandrine Kiberlain, Vincent Lindon, Aure Atika

Jean is a construction worker who is happily married to Anne-Marie. But when he meets his son's teacher, Mademoiselle Veronique Chambon, Jean's life is turned upside down. The two attempt to resist their attraction in this unpredictable film. With expert camera work and stunning performances by the cast - especially by Arthur Le Houerou as Jean's curious son - "Mademoiselle Chambon" leaves audiences feeling at once drained and deeply satisfied. There will a discussion following the film.

THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE
Friday, February 18, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2009 (R)  129 min.  Sweden, Denmark/subtitles Director: Daniel Alfredson Cast: Noomi Rapace, Michael Nyqvist, Annika Hallin, Per Oscarsson

Based on the international best-selling novel, "The Girl Who Played with Fire" is the explosive follow-up to the literary and cinematic hit "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." In this second installment of Stieg Larsson's phenomenal "Millennium" trilogy, Lisbeth Salander is a wanted woman. A researcher and a Millennium journalist about to expose the truth about the sex trade in Sweden are brutally murdered and Salander's prints are on the weapon. Her history of unpredictable and violent behavior makes her an official danger to society.  Mikael Blomkvist, Salander's friend and Millennium's publisher, is alone in his belief of Salander's innocence. Digging deeper, Blomkvist unearths evidence implicating highly placed members of Swedish society - as well as shocking details about Salander's past. He is desperate to get to her before she is cornered - but no one can find her anywhere.

HOW I ENDED THE SUMMER
Friday, March 11, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (R)  124 min.  Russia/subtitles Director: Alexei Popogrebsky Cast: Grigory Dobrygin, Sergei Puskepalis

At a polar station on a desolate island in the Arctic Ocean, Sergei, a seasoned meteorologist, and Pavel, a recent college graduate, are spending months in isolation on the once strategic research base. Pavel receives an important radio message and is still trying to find the right moment to tell Sergei, when fear, lies and suspicions start poisoning the atmosphere. With elemental themes of isolation, alienation and the power of misunderstanding, "How I Ended the Summer" is a visceral psychological drama set in the immersive landscape of the windswept Arctic. Director Alexei Popogrebsky has combined stunning cinematography with painterly attention to production detail, and he has drawn intense and subtle performances from actors Grigory Dobrygin and Sergei Puskepalis. The film turns the hunter-versus-hunted narrative on its head to provoke powerful questions about life and death, resilience and human compassion.

THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNETS' NEST
Friday, April 1, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2009 (R)  148 min.  Sweden, Denmark/subtitles Director: Daniel Alfredson Cast: Noomi Rapce, Michael Nyqvist, Lena Endre, Annika Hallin, Anders Ahlborn

"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" is the third and final film adaptation of the best-selling "Millenium" trilogy written by the late Swedish author, Stieg Larsson ("The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," "The Girl Who Played with Fire."). In this last installment, Lisbeth Salander lies in critical condition in the intensive care unit of a Swedish city hospital, a bullet wound in her head. She's fighting for her life in more ways than one: if and when she recovers, she'll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge - against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life. "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" brings back Noomi Rapace in the starring role of the pierced and tattooed genius computer hacker Lisbeth Salander; Michael Nyqvist as Mikael Blomkvist, the crusading journalist and publisher of the magazine "Millenium"; and Lena Endre, the editor of the magazine and Blomkvist's occasional lover.

KAWASAKI'S ROSE
Friday, April 15, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2009 (Not Rated)  100 min.  Czech Republic/subtitles Director: Jan Hrebejk Cast: Lenka Vlasáková, Milan Mikulcík, Martin Huba, Daniela Kolárová

Pavel is a distinguished psychiatrist is about to receive an award for his life's work and his role as a dissident. His handsome wife and adoring grown daughter are pleased with the honor is coming his way. But Ludek, his son-in-law who is employed on a documentary crew filming Pavel, resents that his own family, rooted in Czechoslovakia's Communist past. When Ludek discovers that Pavel may have corroborated with the secret police in order to silence a romantic rival, the plot thickens immeasurably. "Kawaski's Rose" considers the ways in which the past never stops informing the present-especially in societies where secrets were the way of life, and professional or personal success could depend upon a single well-placed piece of information, be it true or false. There will be a discussion following the film.

BLACK  SWAN
Friday, April 22, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (R) 108 min. USA Director: Darren Aronofsky Cast: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Barbara Hershey, Winona Ryder, Vincent Cassel

A psychological thriller set in the world of New York City ballet, BLACK SWAN stars Natalie Portman as Nina, a featured dancer who finds herself locked in a web of competitive intrigue with a new rival at the company. "Black Swan" takes a thrilling and at times terrifying journey through the psyche of a young ballerina whose starring role as the duplicitous swan queen turns out to be a part for which she becomes frighteningly perfect. The film follows the story of Nina, a ballerina in a New York City ballet company whose life, like all those in her profession, is completely consumed with dance. She lives with her retired ballerina mother Erica who zealously supports her daughter's professional ambition. When artistic director Thomas Leroy decides to replace prima ballerina Beth MacIntyre for the opening production of their new season, "Swan Lake," Nina is his first choice. But Nina has competition: a new dancer, Lily, who impresses Leroy as well. "Swan Lake" requires a dancer who can play both the White Swan with innocence and grace, and the black swan, who represents guile and sensuality. Nina fits the White Swan role perfectly, but Lily is the personification of the Black Swan. As the two young dancers expand their rivalry into a twisted friendship, Nina begins to get more in touch with her dark side with a recklessness that threatens to destroy her.

-30-

Kim Carrasquillo

Writer

Marketing and Outreach