[NEohioPAL] need help scoring our film

Wesley Harrell wesley20 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 15:20:41 PST 2011

Well, being that NYC was mentioned, I feel I should have a say too. I just
want to verify what that poster said about NYC (and LA, Chicago, etc.) I am
from NYC (born and raised) and had a very difficult time getting anywhere in
New York. My profession is the visual arts (Photography and Cinematography)
and so often, indie directors and producers want you to MAKE their movie
with no compensation.  They insist you 1. own or 2. have access to your own
camera and lighting gear (1. being incredibly expensive and 2. being
incredibly difficult in such a closed industry) before they even consider
you. This means they not only don't want to pay YOU, they don't even want to
pay for the very supplies and equipment they NEED. This is a manifold
problem because there are many skilled cinematographers who don't own their
own equipment, but the filmmakers don't want to pay to rent it, so those
cinematographers don't get a shot.

For the ones who do own or have access to equipment, they risk the wear and
tear or potential damage of their equipment on uninsured shoots JUST to get
the chance to MAYBE be on a film that goes somewhere. Meanwhile, as stated
by several here, they have to coordinate all of this against the other stuff
in their lives (day jobs, bill collectors who "don't want to hear it",
families, etc.). As well as people like myself who DID have access to
equipment, but had student loans to repay after studying cinematography for
several years.

It is true that shooting a film or staging a play is expensive, and you do
what you can to get it made. The film or the play or musical is your art.
But composing music, lighting a scene narratively and beautifully, dancing,
painting, etc., is ours. If you want respect for your work, you should
understand that others should receive it for theirs.

I would go one further than most - credit is not enough. I've been credited
on many go-nowhere productions. Barter should be the standard if you have no
money. Fine you can't pay me. Well, then I need you to be there for me when
I call for reciprocation. I'll shoot your film. With my equipment. For free.
But when I need a skill set you own, then you must be willing to assist with
all the effort that I allotted for you.

--
"Genius is often cloaked in simplicity..."

"Death is a train sounding its horn; and no matter how distant, one is
always aware that it will arrive - probably too early - and on further
inspection; you're tied to the tracks."

C. Wesley H. Crump
Visual Artist
Comedy Writer
Wesley20 at gmail.com

To view some of my work online at KiptonART,
Click here:
http://www.kiptonart.com/artists/cwesleyh-crump/