[NEohioPAL] NAS Names Two NE Ohio Executive Directors To Chief Executive Program

Todd Krispinsky TKrispinsky at greatlakestheater.org
Thu Oct 20 18:53:56 PDT 2011

National Arts Strategies Names
Two Northeast Ohio Executive Directors to
List of 100 Leaders in Chief Executive Program

Evalyn Gates of The Cleveland Museum of Natural History and
Bob Taylor of Great Lakes Theater will represent
Northeast Ohio in the national program.

CLEVELAND, OH – After an extensive search and interview process, National Arts Strategies (NAS), recently announced a list of 100 leaders chosen to participate in its new Chief Executive Program. The Cleveland Museum of Natural History’s (CMNH) Executive Director and CEO, Evalyn Gates, Ph.D., and Great Lakes Theater’s (GLT) Executive Director, Bob Taylor, who also serves as Executive Director of GLT’s partner company, the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival, were selected for the prestigious program.

The Chief Executive Program is a multi-faceted, two-year initiative designed to unleash the collective power of 100 of the top executive leaders in the cultural sector to solve problems facing the industry. These leaders will re-imagine what cultural institutions will be and how they can contribute to civil society. According to NAS, the 100 leaders chosen to participate in the Chief Executive Program were selected from a wide range of cultural forms, locations and perspectives. These executives have proven themselves to be effective, innovative, collaborative and open-minded, and were chosen from a pool of open applications and nominations from industry stakeholders
.
“I am grateful to be a part of this program,” said GLT Executive Director, Bob Taylor of Lakewood. “This is a chance to work with my peers from across the country on issues that affect us all. I look forward to sharing the knowledge gained from this opportunity with my peers in the greater Cleveland community.”

“It is an honor to be invited to participate in this outstanding program,” said CMNH Executive Director and CEO Evalyn Gates of Shaker Heights. “The topics we will be exploring are very timely for cultural institutions such as ours and I’m looking forward to jumping into these sessions to learn, exchange ideas and collaborate with colleagues from around the globe.”

In addition, Gates was among one of five leaders to receive the Willard L. Boyd Fellowship of NAS for 2011 to 2013. Boyd was instrumental in helping shape the education work of NAS as it made the transition from the National Arts Stabilization Fund, and gave 11 years of service to the board of NAS.

The Chief Executive Program will explore the changing nature of competition, money and relevance through three multi-day educational convenings that will take place at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business, the University of Texas at Austin’s McCombs School of Business and Harvard Business School. The Program will not only provide participants with opportunities for learning, innovation and collaboration, but will also publicly highlight their work in an effort to raise the level of discussion on the critical issues facing the cultural sector.

“We are proud that two of our community’s arts leaders have been selected for the first class of this important professional gathering of nonprofit leaders,” stated Kathleen Cerveny, Director of Institutional Learning and Arts Initiatives with The Cleveland Foundation. “Bob Taylor is among the Cleveland community’s most innovative arts executives and has created a culture of eye-open ownership among the Theater’s staff and Board. Evalyn Gates is proving to be a dynamic and progressive new leader for The Cleveland Museum of Natural History, embracing a commitment to the Cleveland community and to a value-added practice of collaboration that is making the Museum a leader in place-based issues.”

Development of National Arts Strategies’ Chief Executive Program was made possible by the support of The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Fidelity Foundation and The Kresge Foundation. Additional information about the Chief Executive Program is available at www.artstrategies.org.

The Cleveland Museum of Natural History, incorporated in 1920, is one of the finest institutions of its kind in North America. It is noted for its collections, research, educational programs and exhibits. The collections encompass more than 5 million artifacts and specimens, and research of global significance focuses on 11 natural science disciplines.

Great Lakes Theater, one of the nation’s most prestigious regional theater companies, has brought the pleasure, power and relevance of classic theater to the widest possible audience since 1962.  The first resident company of PlayhouseSquare, Great Lakes Theater programming reaches 85,000 adults and students annually. Great Lakes Theater celebrates its 50th anniversary season in 2011-12.

#   #  #

MEDIA CONTACTS:
Glenda Bogar
The Cleveland Museum of Natural History