[NEohioPAL] The Community Theater We're

Jared McGrath absolutezero74 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 13:59:03 PDT 2012

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank our moderators for everything they do and for giving us this outlet. Yesterday really got me thinking about my experiences within our community, and I think that it is good that the topic has been broached of just how unfriendly so called "Community Theater" has become over the last 5-6 years to not only myself but to my fellow community theater actors and actresses as a whole.  I write this to Theater Operators, Directors, Producers and all of those involved with the casting of shows. It comes from a place of respect, but also of disappointment. I hope my criticisms are taken as constructive:

There has become a very real lack of respect shown by theaters/Artistic Directors/producers for those willing to donate their time to perform, or even just audition.  It should NEVER be too much to ask to receive the "Thanks for auditioning. We can't use you in this production, but please continue to audition with us" e-mail or telephone call that never comes.  Additionally, there are far too many Community theaters using the same people again and again for show after show, too many AEA members auditioning for, and taking roles in "Community Theater" productions against AEA rules & regulations, and too many "Community" theaters allowing it to happen.  There are amateur actors and actresses who are dedicated to remaining Community Theater actors/actresses who are immediately at a disadvantage when the Director sees "AEA" after someone else's name. If those people want to be Equity Members they should be expected and forced to follow the rules of their Union. If there aren't enough Equity opportunities in the NEO area they are free to move to larger cities where their Equity Card will afford them greater opportunities.  As for the Community Theaters out there that cast AEA members without contracts: You should be ashamed, and any grants you receive as a not for profit organization should be immediately revoked.  There are hundreds of extremely talented non-Equity actors and actresses that are having their opportunities lessened because of AEA members who would much rather remain big fish in a small pond than be swallowed up among the masses in NY, LA, Chicago, etc...

I certainly don't mean to make this a rant about actors vs. theaters, but "Community" theaters are very well aware that there are many who are afraid to confront the inequities at auditions directly for fear of being blacklisted.  Even I don't want to name the theaters that regularly break the rules for this very reason. They know who they are and singling them out doesn't do me any good.  But my hope is that in writing this, not only do Theater operators and directors know we're paying attention but that other people will become aware, and begin to speak up as well, and to say "This is NOT alright".  Call AEA when you see violations occurring. Contact Artistic Directors and Producers. We actors and actresses are the backbone of community theater and without us they don't have shows. When you see inequities happening, stand up and voice your displeasure. That's the only way we, as a COMMUNITY can make it better for all of us. Theaters should feel lucky to have us, NOT the other way around.

-Jared McGrath