[NEohioPAL] 8 The Play @ Theatre 8:15 in Green, this Saturday Only!

Vanbrujah vanbrujah at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 06:59:03 PDT 2012

Theatre 8:15
is proud to present
8 The Play
by Dustin Lance Black

A one night only staged reading
Saturday, July 14th
8:15 pm
Theatre 8:15
4740 Massillon Road
Green, Oh 44232
$5.00

All proceeds to benefit The American Foundation for Equal Rights to help with the fight for marriage equality for all.

“8” is an unprecedented account of the Federal District Court trial in Perry v. Schwarzenegger (now Perry v. Brown), the case filed by American Foundation for Equal Rights  to overturn Proposition 8, which stripped gay and lesbian Californians of the fundamental freedom to marry.

 “People need to witness what happened in the Proposition 8 trial, if for no other reason than to see inequality and discrimination unequivocally rejected in a court of law where truth and facts matter,” said AFER Founding Board Member Dustin Lance Black.  “The goal of ‘8’ is to show the world that marriage equality is a basic constitutional right.  The facts are on our side and truth always finds the light.  AFER and Broadway Impact are doing all we can to help speed that process along.”

The story for “8” is framed by the trial’s historic closing arguments in June 2010, and features the best arguments and testimony from both sides.  Scenes include flashbacks to some of the more jaw-dropping moments of trial, such as the admission by the Proposition 8 supporters’ star witness, David Blankenhorn, that “we would be more American on the day we permitted same-sex marriage than we were on the day before.”

The performance will be will be followed by a talkback where cast and audience members can discuss the issues presented in the Perry v. Schwarzenegger trial.