[NEohioPAL] Daytime Performances for Schools in AKRON

Melanie YC Pepe mycp at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Mon Oct 21 12:42:12 PDT 2013

NEWS RELEASE
Contact: Melanie YC Pepe

(330) 836-2626

Weathervane Playhouse
1301 Weathervane Ln * Akron, Oh 44313

Come and see Project STAGE in action! We use live theatrical performances to awaken, enliven and challenge the minds of students with issues both interesting and relevant to our time. Thanks to the support of the Akron Community Foundation and the Ohio Arts Council, we are able to offer tickets to school day performances at the rate of $5 each! We hope you and your students can join us for one of this seasons' many performances.

Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
A musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice
November 26, December 4, 12 & 17 at 10:00 a.m.

A rainbow ride through Ancient Egypt on the wings of Andrew Lloyd Webber's uplifting music and the humor of lyricist Tim Rice. This Broadway blockbuster has instant appeal for every audience with elaborately staged production numbers and a score full of hits! Have your students take a look at the musical theater experience and learn how it has impacted American theater, and performing arts around the world.

The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Adapted from the Newbery Medal, Award winning book by Elizabeth George Speare
by Y York
March 6 at 10:00 a.m.
The Witch of Blackbird Pond tells the story of Kit Tyler, who is marked by suspicion and disapproval from the moment she arrives on the unfamiliar shores of colonial Connecticut in 1687. Alone and desperate, she has been forced to leave her beloved home on the island of Barbados and join a family she has never met. Torn between her quest for belonging and her desire to be true to herself, Kit struggles to survive in a hostile place. Just when it seems she must give up, she finds a kindred spirit. But Kit's friendship with Hannah Tupper, believed by the colonists to be a witch, proves more taboo than she could have imagined and ultimately forces Kit to choose between her heart and her duty.

As a part of our "Project STAGE" Season (these productions feature:

    a.. Pre-performance lecture and discussions for your class (by request)
    b.. Study guides to prepare your class for the performance
    c.. Post-performance discussion immediately after the performance with the director, actors and fellow students.
We at Weathervane Playhouse dedicate ourselves to the belief that young people should have the opportunity to participate in theater both as audience members and as artists. Hope to see you here!