[NEohioPAL] Heights Youth Theatre Announces Its 2014-2015 Season!

Pamela Fine via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue Aug 5 10:14:08 PDT 2014

*N E W S   R E L E A S E*

*HEIGHTS YOUTH THEATRE ANNOUNCES ITS 2014-2015 SEASON AS WE TRANSITION TO
OUR NEW SPACE*

*Season to open with Disney’s Aladdin Jr. directed by Treva Offutt and
music directed by Joanna Li*

University Heights, OH – Heights Youth Theatre (HYT), with the generous
support of the Ohio Arts Council and the citizens of Cuyahoga County
through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture, is proud to announce their 2014-2015
season opening in October 2014 with *Disney’s Aladdin Jr.*  Through the
classic music of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, join Scheherazade, Sinbad,
Ali Baba and your favorite characters from Aladdin as we hop on a carpet
and fly to another Arabian night with colorful puppets, exotic dance and
pure magic!

 In addition to *Disney’s Aladdin Jr.,* the season will feature a
co-production with Mercury Summer Stock in December 2014.  This production,
to be announced shortly, will be directed by HYT Alum and Mercury Summer
Stock Artistic Director/Co-Founder, Pierre Brault.  To celebrate our move
from our Wiley space after 60 years, this production will feature adults,
to include HYT alums, and youth performing together on stage.  Each adult
and alum in the cast will mentor three-four children of the cast during the
run of this holiday spectacular! We will celebrate the holiday combining
the past and present to look forward to the future magic of HYT!

Following this production will be *Elton John and Tim Rice's Aida*,
in February-March 2015, directed by Pierre Brault and music directed by
Joanna Li.  Aida is the triumphant love story between an Egyptian prince
and a slave that transcends warring nations and brings a country
together.  Join us at our first production in our new space at Monticello
Middle School in Cleveland Heights.

Participants in Heights Youth Theatre range in age from 6-18 from all over
Greater Cleveland.  HYT has been in existence for over 60 years and
generally produces three to four full-length musicals each year while
engaging over 200 children and entertaining thousands each season.  For
countless numbers of children, Heights Youth Theatre is their first
exposure to live theater. It has been a place where young people from
kindergarten through the 12th grade, from the inner ring suburbs of Greater
Cleveland and beyond, enjoy a safe, nurturing environment and a cooperative
learning experience as they work together to create a production. The
extraordinary artistic quality of Heights Youth Theatre's productions and
the sense of connection to a larger community, are but a few of the
compelling reasons children and adults choose to become involved with the
theatre.

Says Pamela Fine, Executive Director, “We are so grateful for the ongoing
support of the Cleveland Heights/University Heights Schools and the
community at large. Their support has allowed us to continue to bring these
amazing shows to our communities.   We are so fortunate to work with some
of the best directors and technical staff around, in turn providing our
young performers with a truly engaging and educational experience.  We
encourage everyone to bring their family and friends out to see our shows
this season.  You will be in for a real treat!! “

Heights Youth Theatre is considered one of the gems of Cleveland Heights,
having been named in Cleveland Magazine's "Best of Cleveland" issue (2006)
for being the top in children's theater.  Several HYT youth have gone on to
study Musical Theater, Theatre, design, and Stage Management at major
colleges and universities such as Baldwin Wallace, Boston University,
Carnegie Mellon, NYU Tisch School, University of Cincinnati
College-Conservatory of Music and Ithaca College.  Some have attended
summer programs at Interlochen Arts Academy, HBTI, Stage Door Manor,
Carnegie Mellon and Northwestern, and others have gone on to perform on
Broadway in shows such as *Hair, Newsies, Rent, Mamma Mia, Wicked, Spring
Awakening, Les Mis, and the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. *

For more information on auditions, tickets, sponsorships and donations,
please e-mail heightsyouththeatre at gmail.com.