[NEohioPAL] The Beck Center's Evil Dead-The Musical: A Special Message from Mike & Ike

Jeff Holland mikethelimeyandikethehick at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 10:32:18 PDT 2009

WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING PIECE OF PROMOTION IS FILLED WITH OVERLY GRATUITOUS ASS KISSING.  SERIOUSLY, AFTER THIS, YOU’RE GOING TO THINK MIKE & IKE’S FAVORITE DRINK IS APPLE PUCKER

Mike: (English accent) Greetings and salutations.  He’s not Mike.

Ike: (Southern accent) He ain’t Ike.  So did anybody who wasn’t in it know that Beck did Reefer Madness back in 04?

M:  I did.

I:  What?

M:  Oh yes, I saw it three times.

I:  …What?

M:  It was wonderful.  Their choreography was better than Paula Abdul’s.

I:  …What?

M:  Oh yes.  Even back then, you could tell OxyContin was her friend.

SHORT PAUSE

I:  You saw Reefer off Broadway in 01.

M:  Yes.

I:  And at Beck.

M:  Yes.

I:  Where was I?

M:  Unconscious.

I:  My fault?

M:  Mine.

I:  You suck.

M:  Yes.

I:  And I’m stopping.’

M:  What?

I:  Nothin.’  As most of you should be aware, Beck’s doin’ Evil Dead-The Musical—

M&I: (Together) THE GREATEST PIECE OF ENTERTAINMENT IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY PERDIOD

I:  From May 8 ta June 14 and, since we are

M&I: (Together) THE OFFICIALLY ACKNOWLEDGED UNOFFICIAL SPOKESWHORES FOR EVIL DEAD-THE MUSICAL

I:  Naturally, we have ta do somethin’ ta promote it.

M:  The problem has been actually getting in touch with anyone involved in the show.  The Beck Center has employed lawyers, mobsters, Homeland Security, and even a mildly perturbed Roy Berko to keep us away.

I:   But we are just so made of awesome, we got their attention.  We snuck in one night and stole their scripts and sheet music.

M:  We also wrote on the walls in clown white “Berko was here,” but they didn’t buy that.

I:  But they did want their stuff back, so after we did our time for the B & E, we were allowed five minutes with anyone in the cast who would talk ta us.

M:  Unfortunately, most of the cast knows who we are, so besides Scott Spence the director, who likes us, the only cast members who showed up were Amiee Collier, who’d never heard of us before, and Zac Hudak, who’s a bigger media whore than the two of us combined.

I:  We’ll get the rest of ‘em later.

M:  And so, without further ado, the director and (some of the) cast of The Beck Center’s Evil Dead-The Musical!

SCOTT SPENCE

M:  How did you first hear about EDTM (And you get bonus points if it was through our ranting over the last couple of years)?

SS:  It wasn’t.

M:  Oh.

SS:  I had heard the title bandied about some, then someone finally gave me a copy of the show recorded live in Toronto. As you might know, I am "always" on the lookout for the next quirky Studio musical!

M:  Like Reefer Madness.

I:  Shut up!

M:  Who do we have to thank, pay off, or sexually service for actually getting EDTM to Beck?

SS:  Um--- just buy and sell some tickets. :) That'll thank me a'plenty.

M:  That’s what I did for Reefer Madness.

I:  Shut UP!

M:  Was anyone at Beck worried about doing an excessively gory, excessively adult musical comedy?

SS:  Not a bit--- everyone at Beck recognizes the strength of our previous weirdo Studio musicals. We embrace the bizarre.

M:  Ah yes, like Ree—

I:  Say those two words together one more time and I’m gonna stab ya in the sack with a shiv!

M:  Since this is going to be in the studio theatre (It will be interesting to finally see the show in an intimate setting), how much blood is going to get into the audience.

I:  Please tell us a little!

SS:  We have designated the 1st two rows (front row in each section) as "splash zones".

M&I: (Together) YES!!!

SS:  Of course, until we begin experimenting with aim and distance... who knows!?

I:  I’m tellin’ ya, this should be the first production ta have the “splash the-ater.”  Ya see this, you’re gonna get bloody no matter what.  That’ll make the fans plannin’ road trips even more excited.

SS:  We are also working on special Beck "ED" tee shirts.... acting both as a wonderful absorbant and special momento. :)

M:  And, of course, the back of it should say

M&I: (Together) THE GREATEST PIECE OF ENTERTAINMENT IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY PERIOD.

M:  With our names under the quote.

I:  We’re just saying.

M:  And finally, are you going to have a problem with us showing up every week-end, possibly every show.  I mean, we’re going to anyway.  We just thought we’d be polite and ask.

SS:  I fully expect you! Both Mike AND Ike have special comps for opening night of course! After that, you'll have to claw and scratch like the rest of the deadites.

M:  I guess I have to keep you awake for this one.

I:  Frak you!

M:  And we want to play the moose!

I:  But he didn’t hear that, cause more of the cast was comin’ in and he herded them far, far away from us.

M:  The next person who came to the table is Zac Hudak, who plays Eddie.

I:  Ta be honest, Amiee was next, but Zac came chargin’ out of the night like a drag queen on Adderall and pushed Amiee through a brick wall.  It was kinda funny.

M:  Did you know of the show before you auditioned or were you just a fan of the films who thought a musical version was a pretty good idea?

ZH:  I heard of the show while I was in NYC from a cult-theatre fanatic friend and downloaded the OCR from iTunes. My brother was a huge D&D playing, magic the gathering type sci-fi nerd and introduced me to Army Of Darkness, as a young'n. I think that's the reason I always get a little excited in the pants when the chainsaw guys attack in haunted houses. Bruce Campbell was hot.I hadn't watched the original ED until this summer and have still yet to see part two (eventhough I've had fellow cast member Amiee Collier's copy for almost a year.) So, with my love of the score, AoD, and an affinity for chainsaws, I decided to sell my soul when I saw Beck was doing EDtM. Just kidding. Did that answer your question? I'm awful at interviews. I mean, thank God you didn't ask me about my wife/cover up, Katie. Jumping on couches gets old... What Mom? That wasn't me? Oh... Shit.. Yeah... It was that other gay... Guy... Guy. Oh well. Can I have my candy from the Zac
 proof bottle now? Goodnight Portland!

I:  That was when the tranquilizer dart I shot inta his neck took effect and he passed out.

M:  And finally, it was time for Amiee Collier, who plays Cheryl.  We woke her up, took some cloth and appplied pressure to her wounds, and were able to prop her into the chair to answer one question.

M:  In addition to singing the rockingest number in the show (Look Who's Evil Now) you get to say some of the worst puns said on stage since Vaudeville. You may be used to cheers, applause, and men throwing their underwear at you, but are you ready for groans?

AC:  I've been preparing for this role my whole life. As a small child, I swallowed some coins and was taken to the hospital. When my mom asked how I was doing, they told her there was no change yet. And even later in life when I started playing sports, I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me. After that, I couldn't quite remember how to throw a boomerang, but it eventually came back to me. I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure. All I can say is: Bring on the Evil!
M:  And then she passed out on top of Zac.  All in all, a damn fine start to promoting what we know is going to be a damn fine show.

I:  And then the evening ended with me shootin’ a dart at the limey and seein’ Monsters vs. Aliens in 3-D

M:  …What?

I:  Payback’s a bitch.

COMING SOON:  MORE ABOUT THE BECK CENTER’S PRODUCTION OF EVIL DEAD-THE MUSICAL